Old San Juan Hotel

Old San Juan Hotel

Monday, February 2, 2015

I'm sorry, I forgot...



So many years in the blink of an eye; what happened?
We said goodbye, noncommittal promises so easily begot,
I remembered it all so much later, after the bitter end
that we’d said we'd get that date for coffee; I’m sorry that I forgot.

Faint smudges of cherry lipstick on your collar, a sad truth
of how I wanted to reach out and make it disappear ,blot
out the shine of your smile, so perfect in dimly lit corridors of youth;
so much that I wanted to tell you, but I didn’t.  I’m sorry I forgot.

Your delicate hand; your face, somehow not quite the same.  I imagine in my mind
watching you, waiting for that wistful smile, eyes closed but not asleep.  Just a spot
of regret as cold winter wind mourned outside; incomparable to the mourning inside.
Despair flooded my heart and I promised to always remember; I’m sorry but I forgot.

Fly forward, years with memories taking shape on kites of thoughts and impressions.
Faded imprints of your face is all that is left, a vivid photograph now left to rot,
it’s all gone by so fast, pain so constant, now beyond numb.  Cursed, forgotten sins,
I swore I'd always remember this day, a morbid anniversary.  I’m sorry that I forgot.

I forgot the pain, you…  For just a moment I allowed rays of bright sunshine in,
praying it would dispel your spirit, a ghost I still see in the arms of memory.
All of a sudden there was a life without you, a life where I wasn’t haunted.  I began
to see what it was like without you.  I forgot you, and eternally I am sorry.

© 2015 p.hill

No comments:

Post a Comment